Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Multiple Exposure Film Project

These are photos I shot for a multiple exposure film project last summer. This project was a really fun one for me. Let me explain how I did this shoot. I went around Los Angles and shot photos of all these different backgrounds on film. I drew picture of what I shot and rewound the film to shoot later. Next I set up a studio shoot with my friends Lisa Sheldon & Saori Renteria so that I could shoot them on the same rolls of film that I shot the backgrounds on. I used the pictures to guide me as to where to place them in the frame. I remember they were asking me what I was shooting and it was so hard to explain. I did not even know if it was going to work. I think they were tripping out a little bit. The reason I shoot on film and did not just do it in Photoshop was because film reacts differently to layers than Photoshop does. Film will layer by color from light to dark. For example a blinding will be behind the person and on top of them base on the colors in it. You will also get things that you never expected. With Photoshop I would have just ended up making every thing look perfect. The beauty of film is you get mistakes and those mistakes have been some of my best photos. This was just a test, we could have done it way better, but when you don’t have a budget it makes things hard. I would love to do this for a mag or a client one day. Could you imagine what it would of look like if I had shot it on a 4/5 camera? There are some more of these images on my website if you want to see more. Ianruhter.com Look under multiple exposure projects.





12 comments:

robbiesell said...

Holy crap, these are completely amazing! New favorite photographer... Ian Ruhter!!

Rodger said...

Awesome!!
Thanks for sharing how you did it.
Flatout awesome.

tbot said...

You ever get your film pushed in?

The skeeno terrain said...

Very cool concept especially on film. Awesome job! Interesting as well being some landscape images were horizontal with a vertical portrait over the top.

Unknown said...

ABsolutely fantastic , Your visions are magnificent. To be able to see past images and recreate another world around that one image is simply amazing. Much Luck , Success and Respect !!! Rising * you are , you are !!! Hope to colaborate with you at some point in my life :)

Stone said...

Number 3 with the lifegaurd tower is soooper sick.

Grace Mathis, Beaumont's original beauty geek said...

Wow. Those got me, you know, right in the heart. LOVE the sideways sunset shot.

Greg said...

these are really great. it's nice to see a project using film that actually makes sense for film. it's one thing to say you use film but still produce marginal photos but expect people to think they're amazing because it's film. it's another thing to use film in a way that really makes sense, and couldn't be duplicated by digital, to create something amazing like this. well done man! (sorry for the ramble on film...)

Unknown said...

Awesome shots bro.

ewarner said...

Those are unreal Ian, super stoked on your work!

Unknown said...

WOW I discovered your site through kandee johnson, as she talks about your work a lot, and i have to say this work especially was inspirational. my favourite shot was of the seagull, with the girl seemingly flying through their midst- it looks almost ethereal. truly amazing, and sooo beautiful. You must be so proud. P.S. I was also so glad to know you are mindful of the message your images send and the potential you have to bring light to important subjects, such as the environment. I'm officially a huge fan, keep doing what you do so well!

EmilyGraceBridger said...

I am a huge fan of kandee johnson, and she wrote a post about you.. I have always wanted to be a photographer, so if you could give me some tips or something, i would be honoured. you are my new favourite photographer.
All my love
Emily.
Xx